Piri Reis University has been established by the support and sponsorship of the whole Turkish Maritime Sector (approx. 7500 companies); namely the Turkish Chamber of Shipping (DTO) through the Turkish Maritime Education Foundation (TUDEV).
- TURKISH MARITIME EDUCATION FOUNDATION (TUDEV):
TUDEV is a non-profit private organization which was established in 1993. TUDEV was founded mainly by the members of Turkish Chamber of Shipping.
The most important aims of TUDEV are:
- to support the Turkish Maritime Education and Training providers in Turkey to educate and train seafarers,
- to establish its own Maritime Training Center,
- to establish its own Maritime University.
To carry out its aims TUDEV;
- has supported maritime departments of various universities, schools and other providers in developing resources for the education and training of seafarers. Financial support is still continuing.
- established its own Maritime Training Center in 1995·
- established Turkey’s first Maritime University, Piri Reis Maritime University in 2008.
As mentioned before, TUDEV MTC has been training officers since 1995. However, due to legal reasons, the need to transform TUDEV MTC into a university has arisen. Thus, on February 8, 2008, it was given the status of an MET University by the Higher Education Council (YOK) of Turkey.