Kadir Has University (KHU) was founded in 1997, in Istanbul. The university, with its five faculties of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Economics and Administrative Sciences, Communication, Law and Fine Arts, as well as its several vocational schools, is dedicated to becoming a leader in educational and cultural fields in Turkey, as well as establishing itself as an international center for research and scientific development.
The founding of their institution grew out of his personal philosophy: “I will strive to do and be the best for my country.” In keeping with this motto, their purpose is to facilitate the education, development and prosperity of today’s youth by means of innovative research and academic teaching that inspires democratic thinking and practice. They believe that education can fortify their students, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of their own time.
Their aim is to create an environment of education, research, and discussion at the level of the best universities in the world. Thus they offer education based on both traditional disciplines and interdisciplinary models; they foster the skills necessary for continuing social and cultural development; and, while helping students prepare for the future, they encourage their search for higher truths.
The central tenet of Kadir Has University’s philosophy is to produce students who are self-confident, who question, who consider all perspectives and evaluate them without prejudice, and who are open to the winds of change. They want students to see that as successful scholars and fulfilled individuals, they are the leaders of their society.
To reach this goal:
- They hold to international standards of quality while keeping their tuition fees at moderate levels;
- They offer scholarships to all their students who achieve a high GPA;
- They strive to keep class sizes small for better teaching;
- They prefer targeted education over loosely organized programs;
- They give students access to their advanced technological facilities and intellectual resources;
- They update their curricula and syllabi each year in response to international developments and student needs, preferring a dynamic curriculum to static programs;
- They encourage the free expression of faculty and student opinion, and creative ideas; They focus on positive human relations and a democratic environment for intellectual discussion;
- They select their faculty members from internationally respected universities and encourage them to consider their fields of expertise from both a local and global point of view;
- They foster social responsibility projects that contribute to the environment and to society, and motivate their students to be responsible citizens;
- By collaborating with prominent foreign universities, they assist their students to further their education abroad;
- With their doors open to international collaboration, They pursue their goal of becoming a world university in the centre of Istanbul.