Beyazıt Kulesi (Beyazıt Tower) was built as a fire tower in 1749, but was made of wood. Beyazıt's wooden frame was destroyed in a fire in 1756. Mahmud II seemed not to take a lesson from history, seeing as he rebuilt Beyazıt with wood once again, and handed over control to the Istanbul fire brigade.
The tower was destroyed again in 1826, along with the rest of janissaries. Mahmud II finally realized his repeated mistakes after yet another fire destroyed parts of the Hoca paşa neighbourhood within the same year. He orded the tower be rebuilt soon after janissary partisans destroyed it. In 1828, Beyazıt Kulesi was finally rebuilt out of stone for the last time. It was renamed Seraskerat Kulesi (Seraskerat Tower). Although it was present for numerous rebellions and protests, the most interesting occurred in July of 1868. Fethullah Erbaş, who later followed Necmeddin Erbakan, and his friends posted a red flag on Beyazıt Kulesi during the 6. Filo protests against United States. Beyazıt Tower still serves the city as a fire tower as well as an informant for weather forecasts. A glowing green light signals rain, red light signals snow, and blue light signals sunshine.