The Bayezid II Mosque is located in the famous Beyazıt Square, near the remains of Forum of Theodosius of ancient Constantinople, and close to Istanbul University and the Grand Bazaar. The mosque was built on the orders of the pious Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II, as an imperial mosque complex, which comprises a large collection of buildings of which the mosque is central, and surrounded by a Madrasah, Turkish bath, Caravansary − an Ottoman elementary-primary school. The mosque was the second imperial mosque complex to be erected in Istanbul after the conquest of Constantinople; however, the architect of the mosque is still unknown. Although the design has been attributed to several architects, there is a strong belief among the historians that the main architect of the mosque is Yakupşah bin Sultanşah. The other names that are mentioned by historians are architect Hayrettin and architect Kemaleddin. According to Şeyh Hamdullah’s epitaph, the construction of Bayezid Mosque started in 1501 and completed in 1506. According to Evliya Çelebi (a very famous Turkish adventurer and traveler), Sultan Bayezid II himself performed the first salaat of Bayezid Mosque in front of a large congregation. In the year 1509, the mosque was damaged in the earthquake called “Little Apocalypse”, and it was partially repaired by the architects of that time. In the later years, the mosque was completely repaired by Sinan the Architect. In addition to repairment, Sinan the Architect added an arch inside the mosque in 1573. In 2013, a large-scale restoration project started on the mosque, and still continues today.
Bayezid Mosque is the oldest selatin mosque (a mosque constructed following the orders and in the name of an Ottoman Sultan is called selatin mosque) that maintains its originality. Fatih Mosque, commissioned by Sultan Mehmed II and completed in 1470, is the oldest selatin mosque of Istanbul, but it lost its originality when it broke down in an earthquake in 1766. Bayezid II Mosque is considered to be part of the early period of the classical era of Ottoman architecture. It was constructed by appropriating cut stones, marbles and colored stones from nearby Byzantine remains, but the main structural elements of the mosque are granite and marbles. The mosque is 40m in both length and width. It has 2 minarets and a huge dome that is 44m in height and 17m in diameter. The courtyard is filled with several ancient columns and marbles. The grave of Sultan Bayezid II is also located in the courtyard.